Fernando Valenzuela, a marketing, management and music major from Panama City, Panama, was named the 2015 Hurie Award winner at the annual University of the Ozarks Student Awards Ceremony, held May 6.
Fernando Valenzuela, a marketing, management and music major from Panama City, Panama, was named the recipient of the 2015 Hurie Award during the Student Awards Ceremony on May 6.
The Hurie Award, voted on by the faculty, is named after former Ozarks President Dr. Wiley Lin Hurie, who served from 1923-49. The highest honor an Ozarks student can receive, the Hurie award is given to a graduating senior who has been an exemplary scholar, a campus leader, and a person of outstanding character.
Valenzuela, who will graduate with Magna Cum Laude honors, has excelled both inside and outside the classroom in his four years at Ozarks. Academically, he has made the honor list each semester and was named a member of the 2014-15 Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. He has been an active member of Phi Beta Lambda, Enactus, the Chamber Singers, Zion, Baptist Campus Ministries, Alpha & Omega and Alpha Chi. He has also served as a student-worker for the grounds and maintenance department.
A total of 22 division awards were also given out during the ceremony. Other awards that were announced on Wednesday include:
- Outstanding Service Award in Business --- Catalina Chen
- McKinnon Award for Outstanding Male Student in Communication --- Miguel Cuellar
- McAnear Award for Outstanding Female in Communication: Sandra Davis
- Outstanding Student in Business --- Andrea Villafranca
- Outstanding Student in Health Science --- Jordana Andrews and Taylor Parker
- Outstanding Student in Secondary Education --- Paige Gordon
- Outstanding Student in Elementary Education --- Mollie Palmer and Brooke Conner
- Outstanding Student in Physical Education --- Haley McKee
- Outstanding Student in English --- Samuel Binns
- Outstanding Student in Music --- Meredith Childre
- Outstanding Student in Spanish --- Glenn Hawthorn
- Outstanding Student in Art --- Kurstein Keck
- Outstanding Student in Theatre --- Meghan Mansur
- Outstanding Student in Philosophy --- Badria Mryyan
- Outstanding Student in Religion --- Katelyn Nichols
- Outstanding Student in History --- Jonna Parker
- Outstanding Student in Chemistry --- Laura Calderon
- C. Wright Mills Award in Sociology --- Codie Freeman
- Outstanding Environmental Student Award --- Codie Freeman
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology Award --- Jessica Gibson
- Outstanding Student in Physics --- Harrison Hall
- Ruby Reynolds Outstanding Senior in Biology --- Todd Turner
Recipients of various academic awards were announced during a ceremony on May 6.