The Jones Learning Center (JLC) honored its outstanding student tutors for the 2016-17 academic year during a special ceremony on May 3.
Jose Salinas,a junior from Honduras, was named the overall tutor of the year.
The JLC provides academic support services for student with learning disabilities, AD/HD, and autism spectrum disorder.
Tutors are vital contributors to the academic success of students in the JLC, providing more than 6,000 hours of weekly, one-to-one tutoring.
The JLC employs about 125 student-workers each semester who support students as tutors, note-takers, writing assistants and readers.
Tutors from each of the nine departments reflective of the Ozarks LENS program were scored by students and staff. From those scores, outstanding tutors were identified and recognized.
The outstanding JLC tutors for 2016-17 are:
- Education Department: Catherine Varvel
- Communication Department: Mora Marcia
- Business Department: Gray Gordy
- Math and Physics Department: Robert Ketterer
- Biology and Chemistry Department: Darious Parrish
- Psychology, Health, and Environmental Science Department: Riley Skaggs
- Fine Arts Department: Stephanie Payton
- Humanities Department: Jose Salinas
- Social Science Department: Kelley Criss
- Overall Tutor of the Year: Jose Salinas
The Jones Learning Center recognized its outstanding student tutors in a ceremony on May 3